Sunday, January 17, 2010

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step

Yes I know, it's a pretty warmed over Chinese proverb but I feel that it still rings true. To bring you all up to speed, which means an audience of about 3, I am a returned Peace Corps volunteer or RPCV attempting to join the Foreign Service. More on that later.

I recently completed a two year and change stint in the country of Moldova working in a small village, promoting community development and health education. To say that the experience was life changing would be an understatement.

After an up and down two years, mostly up, with Peace Corps, I returned home for a nice leisurely jaunt around the United States for about 6 weeks with with a fellow Peace Corps volunteer and great friend "little guy". We camped, we hiked, we ate and really got to know our home country again out of the back of a VW Jetta.

When the road trip to end all road trips finally did end, I moved in with my beautiful, smart and very patient girlfriend "red". The past two years had been tough on the both of us but also strengthened our relationship in ways I could not have foreseen.

So that brings us to now, the point of this blog. I am preparing to take the FSOT (Foreign Service Officer Test). I need a forum to write out my thoughts, perhaps place some of my practice essays up for universal criticism and generally receive feedback on how I am ruining my life or making one of the greatest Decisions EVER!

So what will you find here? Some musing on current events, meaningless personal anecdotes, some of life's follies and foibles and one man's journey of what feels like a thousand miles.

What won't you find? Personal attacks, names of friends and family, breaches of the Non-Disclosure Agreement and finally that all opinions are those of the writer and not of Peace Corp, State department or any other organization.

So stick around reader....

Dutch Man

0 comments:

Post a Comment